IMAP Mail Setup in Mac OS X 10.9
This tutorial will show you how to set up the built-in mail program, "Mail," specifically version 7.2.
- After opening the Mail application, click the "Mail" menu in the top left hand corner next to the Apple menu and select "Add account."
- Select "Add other mail account" and click "Continue."
- You will be prompted for some general information about your email.
- Enter your full name in the "Full Name" field.
- Enter your Sonic.net email address in the "Email Address" field.
- Enter the password for your Sonic.net account in the "Password" field.
- Click "Create"
That's it! You have now setup your Mail with your Sonic.net email address.
IMAP Mail Settings in Mac OS X 10.9
This tutorial will show you the required IMAP settings for your mail account within OS X's built-in mail program, Mail. The version used to make this tutorial is version 7.2.
Once you've opened Mail, click on the menu labeled "Mail," and select "Preferences."
Next, you're presented with a window which contains three tabs, "Account Information, "Mailbox Behaviors," and "Advanced." First, let's look at the "Account Information" tab.
- The "Account type" was determined when you set up the account. You cannot change it unless you delete this account and create a new one. The account type is "IMAP."
- "Description" can be whatever you like, but it is recommended that you use something descriptive. This is just the description listed in Mail's list of email accounts.
- "Email Address" should be your Sonic.net email address.
- "Full Name" can be your name, or whatever text you'd like to be seen as your name when you send email.
- "Incoming Mail Server" should be "imap.sonic.net"
- "User Name" should be your Sonic.net login name
- "Password" is the password for your Sonic.net login name.
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
You can edit the Outgoing Mail Server by opening the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) pull-down menu, selecting "Edit server list," then selecting the "Advanced" tab.
- "The "Server Name" should be "mail.sonic.net"
- "The "Server port" should be "465," with "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) checked.
- Authentication should be "password" and the "User Name" and "Password" should be your Sonic.net username and password.
- "Enable this account" means that you will be able to send and receive mail from this group of mail settings.
- "Include this account when automatically checking for new mail" means exactly what it says.
- The "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing" pull-down menu is strictly optional. Storing copies locally on your Macintosh will use additional disk resources, but can allow you to read your mail when not connected to the Internet.
- SSL is required, so the default port will be 993.
- Authentication should be set to "Password."
- Use IDLE command if the server supports it" should be checked.
For more information about the behavior of each of these advanced options, click on the "?" button in the lower-right corner of this window.